President Trump has launched the American AI Initiative directing U.S. Government agencies to make investments in artificial intelligence (AI) research and development (R&D) a priority to ensure America maintains a leadership role in the development of AI and supporting technologies.
The initiative contains 10 sections covering:
- Policy and Principles
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Federal Investment in AI Research and Development
- Data and Computing Resources for AI Research and Development
- Guidance for Regulation of AI Applications
- AI and the American Workforce
- Action Plan for Protection of the United States Advantage in AI Technologies
- General Provisions
The six major objectives include:
- The promotion of sustained investment in AI R&D in collaboration with industry, academia, international partners and allies, and other non-Federal entities to generate technological breakthroughs and capabilities that contribute to our economic and national security.
- Enhancing access to high-quality and fully traceable Federal data, models, and computing resources to increase their value.
- Reducing barriers to the use of AI technologies to promote their innovative application.
- Ensuring technical standards minimize vulnerability to attacks from malicious actors and promotion of Federal innovation, public trust, and public confidence in AI technologies.
- Training the next generation of American AI researchers and users.
- Developing and implementing an action plan to protect the advantage of the U.S. in AI and technology critical to United States economic and national security interests.
Read the full Executive Order at Whitehouse.gov: Executive Order on Maintaining American Leadership in Artificial Intelligence, 11 Feb 2019